Monday, July 24, 2023

Steve Breen Leaves The Union-Tribune

From The Daily Cartoonist.


Another Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist has lost his position with his newspaper.

Steve Breen, cartoonist for The San Diego Union-Tribune, will no longer be a regular presence at the newspaper. 

Says Steve in a farewell column:

Today marks the last time I will have something in The San Diego Union-Tribune as a full-time cartoonist. 
Since 2001, I’ve drawn over 5,500 editorial cartoons, hundreds of illustrations and dozens of digital, animated GIFs on topics big and small, with local, national and international targets. 
I was an editorial cartoonist at a major metro daily newspaper for 22 years. 
It was a dream come true. 

I’m proud of a lot of things: the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for editorial cartooning, the three Emmys for videos I helped make, the popular cartoon caption contest, the “Street Art” series of illustrations on homeless people in San Diego, the “Drawn to America” series on migrants at our southern border, and much more. 
I’ve worked with many wonderful people at the Union-Tribune. 
Journalists truly are the most interesting type of people you’ll ever meet. 
And then there are the security guards and ad people and operations folks who I got to know and befriend as well. 
I will miss them all dearly. 
The greatest honor, though, has been being a small part of your daily lives. 
Every day I tried to hit a home run — a cartoon you’d clip out and put on your refrigerator or email to a friend. 
I appreciate all the times you let me know when you thought I did. I drew them for you. 
Goodbye and thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment