Monday, September 27, 2021

The 2021 Robert Russell Courage in Cartooning Award

From Cartoonists Rights.


The 2021 Robert Russell Courage in Cartooning Award goes to Lagoon Eain and Waiyan Taunggyi, two exiled cartoonists who fled Myanmar after February’s military coup and who have recently found safe haven in the USA.



 

“Democracy in Myanmar was completely destroyed by the coup and ever since we have been under the shadow of fear and oppression. The junta have committed crimes against humanity. In defiance I have been drawing political cartoons…
When I got a call from the police station, I had to flee for my life. I have been through terrible experiences. But wherever I am, I will be drawing cartoons to resist the injustices of Myanmar’s military.
– Waiyan Taunggyi

No comments:

Post a Comment