From Cartoonists Rights Network International.
Nominations are now open for the Robert Russell Courage in Cartooning Award 2023, and will close at noon on March 17th.
CRNI presents its award to cartoonists who have in the prior twelve months shown remarkable courage while suffering a violation of their human rights, especially their freedom of expression as defined by Article 19 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights.
- physical violence, or the threat of violence, to self or family
- criminalization e.g. charges of sedition, “insult” to the state etcetera
- arrest, detention or imprisonment by police, military personnel or immigration officers
- forced displacement from home
- vexatious litigation (“SLAPP” suits)
- online harassment e.g. hacking, DDoS attacks, mass trolling etcetera
- verbal or physical abuse or intimidation based on age, gender, race or sexual orientation
You can learn more about the winners here.
The two awards alternate biannually, and so in 2023 it falls to us to present a Robert Russell Courage in Cartooning Award, named after our founder.
Post a Comment