Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Signe Wilkinson (semi-) retires from daily cartooning

 From The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Signe Wilkinson, the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for editorial cartooning, and the cartoonist for The Inquirer and Daily News since 1985, is stepping down from daily cartooning at the end of 2020.

She will continue to make occasional guest appearances through her syndicate.

After 35 years drawing cartoons on Philadelphia’s politicians and life, it’s clear. I’ve been an utter failure. 
Sadly, gunslingers don’t stop to think, “Golly, that cartoon made me decide not to pull the trigger.” Cartoons have yet to make a state legislator exclaim, “Gee, all kids deserve a good education.” 
They haven’t cured poverty and they certainly haven’t balanced a budget. My only hope is that my drawings have occasionally given a boost to those intrepid citizens who work for a safer, fairer, and more equitable city, state, and region.

In the meantime, let me thank the many politicians in and out of prison who have given me so much material.
 
The new crop coming up deserve new cartoonists to keep them honest. And, thanks to you readers who’ve cheered me and to you who’ve so earnestly tried to correct my many idiotic ideas. 
We’re all in this together. Onward!




Also on this blog:


UPDATE

"Inquirer cartoonist Signe Wilkinson is retiring after 35 years of satirizing Philly" by Max Marin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment